Wednesday, July 18, 2012

IUI #2 Complete

Had my follie ultrasound yesterday morning at 8 am with one juicy egg ready to pop at 27.5. After discussing our plan for this month with my DH, we decided not to do the back-to-back IUI and just go for the single so we could still do our own thing naturally as back-up.  I triggered at the RE's and scheduled my IUI for today at 3 pm. Went back to work and hoped the trigger started doing its thing.  Knowing that my appointment was at 3, I decided to take the day off so I wouldn't have to drive an hour to work, an hour back and then turn around to drive half an hour back to RE's.  My day was filled with wash and completely drama free. That is until the semen had to be transported.

DH was a trooper and we collected the sample at home. He didn't go with as he says its weird to take the cup into the office and turn over his DNA in a cup (there is no way in hell he'd do it there).  I grabbed the sample, looked at the boys and said it's time for a road trip.  This is where the drama begins.  Headed out the driveway on to my road then turned on to the main road. As I turned I looked at my purse and realized he never signed the damn papers. Pulled a U'ie in the middle of the road, and back to the house we go.  Get the papers signed and the transport begins. It's about this point that I realize that I wore the wrong freakin' bra. My poor girls are way too small to hold that cup up and the bra was way too low to help the girls out.  I'd have to say that the award for best support goes to my seatbelt that managed to keep the cup upright and close to where it should be.  For all of you beginners, you can't put the sample in your purse or in the console, it needs to stay at body temp. Usually, I shove it in my grandma bra and they stay nice & warm all the way to the doctors.  I mange to get there in under 30 minutes despite the 1980's baby blue Toyota Corolla driving 15 miles under the speed limit and turn the boys in with pride.  

Since DH is unemployed and doesn't have insurance right now, we opted out of the SA and just went by lots or little. My RE said that this time we had way more than last time (which she told me then was lots, lots).  I made sure I had a full bladder as my RE does an ultrasound so I can watch the catheter being inserted and the boys blasted through.  The procedure was painless except for the ten minutes I had to lay there with a bladder that was ready to explode.  She also had me lay on my side to help the swimmers along.  I have my blood work scheduled for August 1st but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold out that long.  I'm going to try my hardest to keep those pink little Wondfo packs out of sight and out of mind. 

Today turned out to be more than just my procedure.  Through the whole thing I kept thinking about a friend of mine from high school.  Six years ago today was the due date of her & her husbands twins that were conceived through IVF.  Sadly, she lost both of them. She knows the struggles I am dealing with and has been a great inspiration to me to know that even though we go through these heartaches, it is still possible to get the children we so deserve. Her & her husband now have a daughter & a son. Even though their family may only look like four, it will always be a family of six.  Kristen, my heart goes out to you & I'm thinking of you today.   

3 comments:

  1. Baby blue 1980's Corolla and a too big bra...you crack me up. Glad you made it there! Nothing worse than having to pee and not being able to either.

    Glad I am getting the inside scoop in case I ever do move to IUI. I hope this is your cycle to get a BFP :)

    I don't know your friend Kristen, but my heart goes out to her too! Women sure are some strong creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite the adventure! Hoping and praying for a BFP. I had my second IUI today, but last month my P4 level was only 10.3 on 50mg of Clomid (first month of Clomid was 100 mg and 24.1 P4 level) and the nurse thinks my clomid should be higher or possibly put on a different drug, Lupron, never heard of it, so we will see. So frustrating not knowing everything. Now the dreaded 2WW. Its nice reading about someone else going through this, sometimes feel sooo alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you're definitely not alone in all of this. Us girls have to stick together :) As for the Clomid, I did 2 rounds at 100 mg (50 in the AM & 50 in the PM) but my RE thought I could do better so she switched me to Letrozole (Femara) 5 mg (2.5 AM & 2.5 PM). I did tons better and it doesn't have nearly the nasty side effects of Clomid. She also started me on the P4 suppositories to help bring it up. My P4 last cycle went up to 26! This cycle is the P4 gel and I get my 7 DPO blood work tomorrow to see what it's up to. Definitely keep me updated on your IUI! Good luck :)

      Delete